Notable Atheists and Agnostics
- Richard Dawkins: British zoologist, biologist, creator of the concepts of the selfish gene and the meme; outspoken atheist and popularizer of science, author of The God Delusion and founder of the Richard Dawkins Foundation for Reason and Science.
- Sam Harris: Author of the New York Times bestsellers, The End of Faith and Letter to a Christian Nation, researcher in neuroscience.
- Christopher Hitchens: A favorite of the AAR council, his style certainly is polemic, but you’ll find him entirely engaging and a tireless defender of our values. Newly an American citizen, we hope to see him touring around America more and more!
- Pete Stark: First openly atheist congressman, represents the thirteenth district in California.
- The Thermals: Their album “The Body, the Blood, the Machine” is probably the only atheist rock album I know of. It explores the scenario of living in a Christian fascist nation.
Informational & Educational
Christianity & The Bible
- Skeptic’s Annotated Bible: “The SAB will help those who believe in the Bible to honestly reconsider that belief. It will help those who are unfamiliar with the Bible to resist the temptation to believe. And it will help those who have already rejected the Bible defend their position.”
- Capella’s Guide to Atheism: “Atrocities and deviant behavior by key Bible figures”
- A List of Biblical Contradiction: “Repetitions and contradictions are understandable for a hodgepodge collection of documents, but not for some carefully constructed treatise, reflecting a well-thought-out plan.”
- My View Of Islam: A great article by Ayaan Hirsi Ali, someone that if you don’t know, you should. A woman of remarkable courage and incredible writing ability, she details simply her problems with Islam
- Apostates of Islam: A slightly extreme, but entirely useful resource for individuals brave enough to face the rising tide of Islamic extremism and irrationality among Islamic culture. Who couldn’t admire their courage?
- An examination of the Islamic notion of afterlife: Islam has a rather macabre notion of life after death… does this seem comforting or pleasant?
Common Atheist Issues
- Atheists identified as America’s most distrusted minority, according to new U of M study: “U of M study reveals America’s distrust of atheism”
- Transitional Fossils: No transitional fossils? Really? Here’s a gigantic list.
- Response to Intelligent Design: Jerry Coyne, a real biologist, ripping Michael Behe, an ID proponent, a new one over Behe’s new book.
- The Catholic Church Is Helping Spread AIDS: So religion doesn’t really hurt anyone? How about spread AIDS? Is that bad enough?
- Wikiquote’s Page on “Irreligious”: A page of quotes about theism, agnosticism, deism, skepticism, freethought, secular humanism, general secularism, and/or heresy.
- EXTRAS on Atheism: clip from HBO’s Extras showing how silly theism is.
- Haggard vs Dawkins: Ted Haggard, formerly the most powerful Evangelical in America before he was caught with a male prostitute, versus Richard Dawkins.
- Christopher Hitchens — Religion: Christopher Hitchens at a Free Speech Conference in Canada. Hitchens at his best! Try not to get fired up.
- Interview with Richard Dawkins on The Panel, Ireland: Richard Dawkins on RTE Television’s The Panel in Ireland.
- Bahraini Feminism: A great debate between a Bahraini woman and a tool for the Bahrain version of Fox News about how Islamic doctrine sponsors some pretty abhorrent things.
- A Destruction of Intelligent Design: Ken Miller, a biologist and professing Catholic, demolishes Intelligent Design. Watch it all the way through and have all your questions answered.
- Cargo Cults
Religion, without indoctrination, seems pretty silly, doesn’t it?
Email us at aar [a] uci [dot] edu if you have any links to add.