Welcome Information & Getting Started
(Please read if you've recently applied for a new CO Web Services Account and/or recieved your CO Web Services credentials.)
Congratulations! Your Campus Organizations Web Services ("CO Web Services") account has been activated and is now available for use under the CO Web Terms of Service. Please check the home page occasionally for news and updates. There are also FAQs and a few tutorials (more coming soon!). Here's what you need to know:
1. CONTACT US (UCI EMAIL PREFERRED)
Please correspond with us through your personal UCI email account to verify your identity at firstname.lastname@example.org.
2. ACCOUNT INFORMATION
REGISTRATION AND RENEWAL
- Accounts must be renewed EVERY YEAR when registration begins.
- Renewal is separate from Campus Organizations registration.
- Renewal should be completed after registration approval.
- https://clubs.uci.edu or https://www.clubs.uci.edu for websites on Clubs
- https://clubs.uci.edu/clubspma for phpMyAdmin (Clubs MySQL database access)
- http://sites.uci.edu for UCI Sites
- http://gmail.uci.edu or https://gmail.com for UCI Gmail
- https://mail.clubs.uci.edu for Mailman mailing lists
3. GETTING STARTED
UCI GOOGLE APPS FOR ORGS (UCI GMAIL)
- Webmail: http://gmail.uci.edu
(you may also use https://gmail.com)
- Desktop or mobile email:
MAILMAN MAILING LISTS
Configure your Mailman mailing list at https://mail.clubs.uci.edu/
UPLOADING WEBSITE FILES
- File Transfer Protocol (FTP)
- Dedicated FTP programs such as FileZilla (multi-platform), Fetch (Mac) or Core FTP (Windows) are used to upload/download web pages, images, and other files to/from your CO Web Services account.
- Home Directory and the Sites Sub-directory
- Your home directory is located at /Accounts/#accountname
- The Sites directory (inside of your home directory) is the website folder. Place all of your public pages and content there.
- Off-campus Shell Access
DEVELOPING DYNAMIC SITES WITH PHP & MYSQL
The CO Web Server (https://clubs.uci.edu) supports PHP and other scripting languages. To request a MySQL database, please submit a renewal form and select "website with MySQL". If you signed up for a MySQL database, it can be accessed by programming code in your website or via phpMyAdmin at https://clubs.uci.edu/pma_clubs/index.php.
By default, we set it to the same login/password as your CO Web Services account. We do not typically change the database password for an account renewal, but we will change it on request. Changing your MySQL password will cause existing pages/programs that use the database connection to stop functioning. Be sure to update the connection details before or immediately after the change (this information is usually found in a configuration file in the program folder). Contact us if you need advice/assistance.
4. PROTECTING YOUR ACCOUNT PASSWORD
We suggest that your CO Web Services password be distributed to as few people as possible (i.e. need to know basis: signers, technical leads, and your advisor).
Authorized Signer(s) or technical lead(s) on file may request a password change by submitting the online support form.
NOTE: Passwords are case sensitive, so type exactly as listed (the password will be on a line by itself).
ACCOUNT PASSWORD AND ACCESS POLICIES
- CO Web Services staff WILL NOT disclose or change a password OVER THE PHONE under any circumstances.
- Please notify us immediately if you believe your Account has been compromised, or if you suspect abuse.
- If we are notified of a problem with your Account (or if we detect/suspect a security breach/suspicious activity), we will...
- Disable access temporarily
- Attempt to notify the Signers/technical lead(s) on file
- Revert the password to the last password on file, or a new random password
- The University is not responsible for any damages or loss resulting from not being able to access the CO Web Services account (e.g. system downtime, "can't log in", victim of hacking, rogue officer, etc). See https://clubs.uci.edu/term
s for more information.